Welcome to God's Lemonade Stand

It is my hope that by reading this daily you will grow in your walk with Christ and knowledge of scriptures and be set free from any struggles in your life that are weighing you down. Be blessed to be a blessing.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Unexpected News



 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of one of His faithful servants. Psalm 116:15

 I was preparing for a night of fun with one of my best girlfriends when the phone rang and she called to let me know her sister in law, who was fairly young, had just unexpectedly passed away. Obviously besides being unprepared for something like this you are confused, sad, and not sure what to do next. I listened and then prayed with her over the phone.

 Sooner or later each of us will get some sort of unexpected news because all of us are going to eventually die. We all wish we could maybe plan to just die at about 95 laying in bed at home surrounded by family, certainly not as a baby, a teen, a young spouse, or a fifty something person. The best thing to do with a person going through this grief is to just be there, hug them, let them talk. Don't start saying "well they are in a better place" even though we may know that. No one wants to have to say goodbye to a spouse, sibling, parent, relative, or dear friend but the time is going to come.

The best thing to do is enjoy life to the fullest and reach out and help and comfort those who need comfort. Don't just say "Let me know if I can do something" which is the standard statement but maybe send them a gift card for a restaurant. Perhaps a bouquet of flowers. The best thing to do is to be there and pray.

PRAYER: Give me the words Lord God to comfort someone I may know who is grieving. Show me creative ways to reach out. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Click link below for  a song of comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I went to a memorial service at church yesterday aftternoon. The church had a dinner for them. I'm glad I went. Yes, this was on a Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete